Sweet Sesame Bread
Aniseed gives this festive Greek bread its unusual yet pleasing flavor. Everyone in the family runs to the kitchen for a fresh-from-the-oven slice.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
Makes1 loaf (12 slices)
- 1 tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons instant nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed aniseed
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, milk powder, salt, aniseed and 2 cups flour. Beat on low speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Shape each into a 15-in. rope. Place ropes on a greased baking sheet; braid. Pinch ends to seal and tick under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Beat egg and milk; brush over braid. Sprinkle with sesame seeds, almonds and sugar. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 196 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 165mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Sesame Bread in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.