Sweet Sausage Coffee Ring
I came across this recipe one year while judging at our county fair. It's a hearty bread that's well suited for colder weather.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 1-1/4 hour + cooling
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup room temperature strong brewed coffee
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a small saucepan, bring water to a boil; reduce heat. Add raisins. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. Crumble sausage into a large bowl. Add sugars and eggs; mix well. Stir in pecans and reserved raisins. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and pie spice; add to sausage mixture alternately with coffee.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. tube pan. Bake at 350° for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Combine glaze ingredients; drizzle over cooled bread. Refrigerate leftovers.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 397 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 37mg cholesterol, 238mg sodium, 69g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Sausage Coffee Ring in Country Woman Christmas 2001