Sweet Sandwich Cookies
This caramelly cookie is a past winner of our family's holiday bake-off. The tender brown sugar cookie melts together with the rich browned butter frosting for a yummy flavor combination. They are sweet, and so special.
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 1-1/2 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- BROWNED BUTTER FILLING:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1-1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 5 teaspoons 2% milk
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolk. Combine flour and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- Shape into 1-in. balls. Place 1-1/2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern.
- Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- For filling, heat butter in a saucepan over medium heat until golden brown. Remove from the heat; stir in confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve spreading consistency. Spread on the bottoms of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 235 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 162mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Caramel Cream Sandwiches in Country Woman November/December 2005