Sweet Rye Bread
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 3-1/3 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup dark corn syrup
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups rye flour
- 9 to 10 cups all-purpose flour
- Melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 2 cups water; let stand for 15 minutes. Add milk, butter, sugar, corn syrup, molasses, salt and remaining water. Stir in rye flour. Gradually add enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Shape into four loaves; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks. Brush with melted butter.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 115 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 77mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Jan 22, 2012
This bread had a great taste to it even though I had to use light corn syrup instead of dark because I had no dark on hand. I also used 4 cups of rye flour and then just cut back on white flour. It was very tasty.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.