Sweet Rhubarb Crisp
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups packed brown sugar, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 cups sliced fresh or frozen rhubarb
- In a bowl, combine flour, oats, 1 cup brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and butter. Pat about half of mixture onto the bottom of a greased 9-in. square baking pan. In a saucepan, combine cornstarch and remaining brown sugar; stir in water. Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil and is thickened and clear. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Add rhubarb and toss until coated. Spoon over crust; sprinkle with reserved flour mixture. Bake at 350° for 50 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 368 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 190mg sodium, 67g carbohydrate (49g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
May 15, 2016
If you like a little rhubarb with a great deal of sugar, you will like this recipe. I would suggest cutting sugar in half.
May 30, 2013
Whoa!.....this recipe is very sweet. Unfortunately, all I could taste was sweet, sweet, sweet. The sweetness overwhelmed any gentle hint of tartness from the rhubarb, unfortunately. The topping and rhubarb batter turned into a sticky, toffee-like texture, very difficult and hard to remove from the pan. I had to virtually scrape and dig the crisp out of the pan, hoping I wasn't going to break my knife. This recipe did not have the blend of sweetness and tartness that I usually expect from a rhubarb recipe. I prefer a fruit crisp to have a nice, golden loose topping that does not overwhelm the taste of the fruit being used in the recipe. This recipe did not meet my expectations, so I will not make it again.
May 6, 2012
My son loved this dessert!! It was fast, easy and yummy!! A dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream would make it extra special.
May 29, 2011
Coming from someone who doesn't like rhubarb, it is very good! My husband made this recipe. It's a lot better than rhubarb pie! The little bit of sweet in the topping cuts the tartness of the rhubarb. We all liked it. So, he's making it again tonight!
May 29, 2011
My family loved it!! Sweet with a wonderful tartness to it!
Jun 6, 2010
My husband told me this was the best rhubarb crisp he's ever had! I'm definitely keeping this one handy and will make it again when my rhubarb is ready - delicious!
May 26, 2010
Wonderful!!!! Made this for a pot luck that my husband's work was having. As soon as he got home, I had to fill his request for copies of the recipe.
Apr 28, 2010
we truley enjoyed this recipe, like it better than rhubarb pie
Jun 6, 2009
I make this similar receipe and it is very good only i put the rhubarb untop of the dry mixture and than put the cooked mixture followed by the rest of the crumbs