- 3 to 3-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 tart apples, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-in rings
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- In a large saucepan, cover sweet potatoes with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until just tender. Drain and cool slightly. Peel and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Alternate layers of potatoes and apples in a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Pour orange juice over. Mix brown sugar, ginger and cinnamon; sprinkle over potatoes and apples. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-45 minutes or until apples have reached desired doneness. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forSweet Potatoes with Apples
"Manga the directions say to "alternately layer potatoes and apples", so you would have potatoes, apples, potatoes, apples until you used all you had sliced."
"The picture shows the potatoes on the bottom and the apples on top. The description by Jean also states the apples should be on top,but the directions say to layer. Confusing."
"A favorite among my whole family. We have made this many times over and enjoy it as a welcome change from the typical overly sweetened sweet potatoes with marshmallows. Also works well to make this ahead and refrigerate before cooking."
"Wow! We grow sweet potatos, so we had tons! This is a tasty way to eat them!"
"This is a welcome change after eating candied sweet potatoes for years. I would recommend this to anyone who loves apples and sweet potatoes. Yum!"
"This is delicious! The sweet potatoes compliment the apples and the other way around. I really did enjoy this. There were hardly any leftovers after I made this!"
"Very few recipes say "autumn" like this recipe. We love the combination of sweet poataoes and apples. It has just the right touch of spices to make this dish soooo good. It's a keeper!"
"easy to make. Apples are a tasty change."
"I have made this recipe for the last two years now. It got rave reviews from my family. I found it in the Taste of Home Holiday 2008. I am so glad I did! Absolutely superb!!!"
"This was excellent. easy to prepare and the leftovers reheated nicely in the microwave. The only thing I did differently was to chop the apples instead of leaving them in rings so that every bite would have a some."