Sweet Potato Yeast Rolls
Total TimePrep: 35 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm fat-free milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 teaspoon plus 1/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1/3 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm milk. Add 1 teaspoon sugar; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, egg yolks, butter, salt, remaining sugar and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 30 balls. Roll each ball into a 10-in. rope; tie each rope into a loose knot. Place 2 in. apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites and cold water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with sesame seeds. Bake at 350° for 15-17 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 92 calories, 1g fat (1g saturated fat), 16mg cholesterol, 76mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Jan 13, 2012
I made these for a large family gathering. Instead of making the dough into twists, I made fifteen rolls out of it. They were beautiful to look at, soft, slightly sweet and delicious. I didn't brush them with the egg whites or use the sesame seeds, but buttered the tops when they came out of the oven. I will definitely make them again and so will members of my family.
Dec 28, 2009
I didn't think the sweet potato added much of anything to this bread... the rolls come out pretty but are a bit dry
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.