- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk or butter)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened, divided
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- CREAM CHEESE NUT SPREAD:
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a large mixing bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sweet potatoes, 1/2 cup butter, honey, egg, salt and whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 25 minutes. Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown (cover loosely with foil if top browns too quickly). Remove from pans to wire racks. Melt remaining butter; brush over warm bread. Cool.
- In a small mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Stir in walnuts. Serve with bread. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews forSweet Potato Yeast Bread
"The very best bread I've made and there are great recipes out there that I have made but this is the best. Using the sweet potato adds nutrition that the white potato can't. I also added a bit of cinnamon but it's still savory enough for tuna sandwiches for my son's lunch. Thank you so much for another great recipe."
"Great recipe! I added some cinnamon."
"Works perfectly following the recipe instructions. I added some ground flaxseed to add to it's nutritional value. The sweet potato flavor comes through just right and the bread tastes great fresh from the oven, as toast and as sandwiches. I have not made the butter spread as I am happy just eating the bread with whatever topping I choose. Great as a ham sandwich. Thanks for sharing!"