Sweet Potato Tossed Salad
“I love to cook and develop recipes for contests," shares Patricia Harmon of Baden, Pennsylvania. "This recipe combines several fall favorites in a delicious salad."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 2 cups spring mix salad greens
- 1/2 medium pear, chopped
- 2 turkey bacon strips, diced and cooked
- 2 tablespoons crumbled blue cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped pecans, toasted
- Place the sweet potato in a small saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, oil, syrup, mustard, salt and pepper; stir in basil. Set aside. In a large bowl, combine the salad greens and pear. Drain potato; add to salad greens.
- Drizzle dressing over salad and toss to coat. Divide between two salad plates. Sprinkle with bacon, blue cheese and pecans.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 349 calories, 25g fat (4g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 499mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 5g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as Maple Basil Sweet Potato, Pear and Pecan Salad in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008