Sweet Potato Stuffed Apples
I inherited this recipe for baked dessert apples from my grandmother and make it every chance I get, especially in fall.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 5 medium tart apples
- 1 can (15 ounces) cut sweet potatoes, drained and mashed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds, divided
- Core apples and scoop out pulp, forming a 2-in. cavity; discard seeds. Chop pulp; place in a bowl. Add the sweet potatoes, brown sugar, syrup, butter, cinnamon, salt and 1 tablespoon almonds. Spoon into apples; sprinkle with remaining almonds.
- Place in an ungreased 11x7-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 269 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 6mg cholesterol, 157mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (37g sugars, 7g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Stuffed Apples in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2004
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.