Sweet Potato Soup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1 carton (32 ounces) plus 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the onion, red pepper and carrots in oil for 3 minutes. Stir in the ginger, garlic, cayenne and pepper; cook 2 minutes longer. Add the broth, tomatoes and sweet potato. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 2. Cool slightly. In a blender, cover and process soup in batches until smooth. Return all to pan and heat through. Stir in peanut butter and honey. Cook and stir until peanut butter is melted. Garnish servings with green onions.
1 cup: 213 calories, 12g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 655mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (11g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Jan 6, 2020This soup is absolutely delicious. Nondairy is a plus for us. Creamy, smooth, scrumptious. Didn’t add the green onion garnish as it was not even needed! 5 Stars and I am a picky cook:)
Dec 31, 1969
This soup was wonderful. A nice creamy texture, yet no dairy! The spices were just the right compliment to the peanut butter and honey. Even my husband (who doesn't care for soup unless he is sick) liked it a lot!I am going to make this again for my girl friends at my annual Christmas Cookie Exchange brunch.