Sweet Potato Souffles
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces), peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup miniature marshmallows
- Grease two 2-cup souffle dishes or custard cups; sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Set aside. Place sweet potato in a saucepan; cover with water. Cover and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes; drain well. Add lemon juice, salt and nutmeg. Mash potato mixture; set aside to cool.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and remaining sugar until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl; stir in mashed potato. Combine potato and milk mixture; set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potato mixture.
- Spoon into prepared dishes. Top with marshmallows. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-38 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 341 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 236mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Dec 2, 2018
Delicious. I used canned sweet potatoes. I put the ramekins in the oven at 425 degrees for the first 15 minutes because I only had one oven and the stuffing Quoran meatless turkey were both at that temperature. The last 15 minutes I baked them at 350 degrees. Thank you Mary Kay for sharing this recipe.