Sweet Potato Souffles
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 4 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 1 large sweet potato (about 12 ounces), peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1/4 cup miniature marshmallows
- Grease two 2-cup souffle dishes or custard cups; sprinkle each with 1/2 teaspoon of sugar. Set aside. Place sweet potato in a saucepan; cover with water. Cover and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes; drain well. Add lemon juice, salt and nutmeg. Mash potato mixture; set aside to cool.
- In another saucepan, melt butter; stir in flour and remaining sugar until smooth. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened and bubbly. Remove from the heat.
- Beat egg yolks in a small bowl; stir in mashed potato. Combine potato and milk mixture; set aside. In a bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; gently fold into potato mixture.
- Spoon into prepared dishes. Top with marshmallows. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 35-38 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 341 calories, 13g fat (6g saturated fat), 236mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 46g carbohydrate (26g sugars, 3g fiber), 11g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 2, 2018
Delicious. I used canned sweet potatoes. I put the ramekins in the oven at 425 degrees for the first 15 minutes because I only had one oven and the stuffing Quoran meatless turkey were both at that temperature. The last 15 minutes I baked them at 350 degrees. Thank you Mary Kay for sharing this recipe.