Sweet Potato Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
Pairing a seasonal fruit and vegetable makes for a very pretty and unusual salad to accompany a turkey dinner. The poppy seed dressing has a citrus tang and really brings out the flavor. If you're looking for a different side dish, give it a try!
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling
- 6 medium sweet potatoes (about 2-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 medium tart apples (about 3/4 pound), chopped
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, cook sweet potatoes in boiling salted water until just tender, about 20 minutes. Cool completely.
- Meanwhile, in a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the next nine ingredients; shake well. Peel potatoes; cut each in half lengthwise, then into 1/2-in. slices.
- In a 4-qt. bowl, layer a fourth of the sweet potatoes, apples and onions; drizzle with a fourth of the salad dressing. Repeat layers three times. Refrigerate for 1-2 hours. Toss before serving.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 196 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 45mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Apple Salad in Taste of Home December/January 2000
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.