Sweet Potato Pound Cake Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 to 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and nutmeg; add to creamed mixture alternately with sweet potatoes. Beat just until combined (batter will be stiff).
- 2. Pour into a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- 3. For glaze, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, orange peel and enough juice to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over cake. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews for Sweet Potato Pound Cake
"I have a large tube pan so I refigured the ingredients to equal a batter and a half,the cake came out tall, light and moist, great recipe"
"I searched for a recipe for a long time, this sounded to easy to be true and taste good,well it's not good but GREAT!! I didn't put nutmeg in and still great."
"My husband requested a sweet potato cake for his birthday. I thought it was very moist and the orange glaze really complemented it."
"I made this recipe for the first time today and god was it good and it can actually do without the glaze this recipe is a keeper"
"I made this for a friend who was craving "something sweet potato". It was made following the recipe and the suggestions about creaming for about 10 minutes. It made a huge difference in the texture. This pound cake was simply delicious, and I will definitely make it again. My friend was thrilled and said it tasted like her mother's recipe. :-)"
"This is a surprisingly fantastic cake. I made it because I had 2 cans of sweet potatoes on hand. I drained them and whipped them in the mixer bowl and removed them before beginning the recipe. Followed the recipe almost exactly, except added about 1/3C more sweet potatoes as that was left from the cans, and the batter seemed way too thick. It was still thick with this addition, but baked up light and buttery with a perfect texture. As with all pound cakes, cream the butter/sugar/egg mixture about 10 min at a good clip before continuing the recipe and the texture will be the one you are looking for in a pound cake. I did add 1/4 tsp pure orange extract to the cake, and then made the glaze with butter and Grand Marnier. Would be just as good without glaze."
"This is a wonderful, flavorful cake. I made it for a friend of mine last week and he loved it."