Sweet Potato Pound Cake with Marshmallow Frosting
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 55 min. + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- MARSHMALLOW FROSTING:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 jar (3-1/2 ounces) marshmallow creme
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in sweet potatoes and vanilla.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, cinnamon and salt; add to the creamed mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.
- Transfer to a greased and floured 10-in. fluted tube pan. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar. Beat in marshmallow creme and vanilla. Serve warm cake with a dollop of frosting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 423 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 99mg cholesterol, 270mg sodium, 59g carbohydrate (35g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Nov 26, 2015
This was a huge hit at my Thanksgiving gathering. Everyone really liked cake plain, but the frosting was so good! Frosting takes the cake to the next level. I will be making this again for sure. There wasn't any leftover.
Nov 23, 2014
I make this EVERY Thanksgiving and Christmas--we absolutely LOVE it. It there are any leftovers, I cute slices into sticks, dry in the oven and serve a biscotti...GREAT!!
Oct 8, 2013
I was a bit hesitant to try a pound cake with sweet potatoes in it, but it was delicious! Very moist. The cake was still too warm when I put the frosting on so it pretty much slid off down the sides. I was serving it at a church fellowship meal, so I wanted to frost it instead of putting a dollop on the slices. Next time I'll wait until it's all cooled down to put the frosting on because the frosting is delicious.
Nov 18, 2012
I had some mashed sweet potatos in the freezer that needed to be used and I chose this recipe. It was very moist indeed and not overly sweet. I used freshly grated nutmeg so the nutmeg flavor was pronounced and delicious. I elected not to use a frosting as it really doesn't need it.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.