Sweet Potato Pot Stickers
I added a Southern twist to pot stickers. The ginger-flavored sweet potatoes are a surprising filling, but are oh so savory and delicious. —Mary Marlowe Leverette, Columbia, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 20 min.
- 1-1/2 cups finely grated peeled sweet potatoes
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup finely shredded cabbage
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 24 pot sticker or gyoza wrappers
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1 cup chicken broth, divided
- Additional reduced-sodium soy sauce, optional
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Place 1 teaspoon of filling in the center of one wrapper. (Until ready to use, keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel to prevent them from drying out.)
- Moisten entire edge with water. Fold wrapper over filling to form a semicircle. Press edges firmly to seal, pleating the front side to form three to five folds. Holding sealed edges, stand each dumpling on an even surface; press to flatten bottom. Curve ends to form a crescent shape. Repeat with remaining wrappers and filling.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium-high heat. In batches, arrange pot stickers flat side down in pan; cook for 1-2 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Add 1/2 cup broth; bring to a simmer. Cover and steam for 6-10 minutes or until broth is almost absorbed. Uncover; cook for 1 minute or until bottoms are crisp and broth is evaporated. Serve with additional soy sauce if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 pot sticker: 52 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 6g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Pot Stickers in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2012
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.