Sweet Potato Pear Bake
A friend made this sweet potato recipe when I had dinner at her house. I liked it so much, I asked her to share the recipe with me.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) pear halves
- 3 cups cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 6 tablespoons whole-berry cranberry sauce
- Drain pears, reserving 2 tablespoons juice (discard remaining juice or save for another use). In a bowl, combine the sweet potatoes, 3 tablespoons butter, brown sugar, salt, nutmeg and reserved pear juice. beat until combined. Spoon into a greased shallow 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Arrange pear halves onto top, cut side up.
- In a small saucepan, combine the honey, orange zest and remaining butter. Cook until heated through. Drizzle half over pears. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30 minutes. Drizzle with the remaining honey mixture. bake 15 minutes longer. Fill pear halves with cranberry sauce.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 366 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 207mg sodium, 73g carbohydrate (47g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Pear Bake in Country October/November 2002