Sweet Potato Pan Rolls
This tender rolls are one of my brothers favorites so I make them often. Spiced with cinnamon and nutmeg, they are great along side a wide variety of dishes from chicken to a bowl of steaming chili.—Carly Curtin, Ellicott City, Maryland
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup mashed sweet potato
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash ground nutmeg
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups bread flour
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the sweet potato, butter, honey, oil, egg, salt, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and 1 cup flour. Beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into 16 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place in 2 greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375° until golden brown, 20-25 minutes.