Sweet Potato, Orange & Pineapple Crunch
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered, until tender, 10-15 minutes. Drain.
- Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl; mash potatoes. Stir in sugar, pineapple, eggs, sour cream, orange zest, juice, butter and vanilla; transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. For topping, in a large bowl, mix coconut, pecans, brown sugar and flour. Add butter; mix until crumbly. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, until heated through and topping is golden brown, 40-45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 432 calories, 20g fat (9g saturated fat), 58mg cholesterol, 110mg sodium, 62g carbohydrate (45g sugars, 4g fiber), 4g protein.
Jan 21, 2016
The combinations in this casserole are wonderful. I thought the amount of topping was a little too much so I decreased the topping recipe the next time a made it.
Nov 23, 2015
Our Thanksgiving Luncheon was today and everyone at the office wanted the recipe and I plan to make it again for our Holiday Dinner. Great Recipe. Thanks for sharing.
Nov 19, 2015
Delicious casserole! Everyone was ooohing, and aaahing over the pineapple which made this casserole really stand out! Great recipe!
Oct 6, 2015
I made this with four 15oz cans of sweet potatoes (that's what I had). I drained the light syrup off them and mashed per the recipe. I thought they were sweet enough (having been canned with syrup), so I left out the white sugar. The finished result was wonderful, but not everyone in my family was a fan of the pineapple in it. The topping was very crunchy and thick. The dish was good cold for breakfast the next morning too.
Oct 5, 2015
This is in response to delowenstein who reviewed this recipe on Oct 1, 2015,,,,,, in my opinion that is NOT a review of this recipe as you changed almost every ingredient, esp the primary ones. I think this is very unfair to Lisa. We just received our issue of the magazine this afternoon. I gave it to my husband to look at & this is the first recipe he chose for us to have. The only thing I am going to do is cut it in half since will be serving to just the two of us this time. From my reading of the recipe & looking at the photo I am thinking that Lisa should have received the Grand Prize instead of Third Place. After we try this I will submit more info,,,,,,
Oct 1, 2015
I have decided to revise this review. I'd rated this recipe as a 5* recipe and I'd also made a number of changes with the recipe ingredients. I just want to say that the way in that the recipe was originally prepared and presented is excellent. It's a great recipe selection for special holiday meals. Thank you for sharing, Lisa Varner.