Sweet Potato Orange Bread
This quick recipe from Dixie Burnham of Hernando, Florida makes two pleasantly spiced loaves - one to eat and one to share. Sweet potatoes lend nice color and moistness to the easy bread.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 50 min. + cooling
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 teaspoons grated orange zest
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- In a large bowl, combine eggs, oil, applesauce and vanilla. Stir in sweet potatoes and orange zest; mix well. Combine the flour, sugars, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder; stir into sweet potato mixture just until combined. Stir in nuts.
- Pour into two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 169 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 127mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (15g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Bread in Quick Cooking November/December 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.