Sweet Potato Loaves
"My husband and I are missionaries in Brazil, where sweet potatoes are a staple food. I make this recipe often to share with the local people, and it is always a big hit," pens Joyce Randolph from her home base in Canton, Maine.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 35 min. + cooling
Makes2 mini loaves
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 cup raisins
- In a small bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add egg; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and salt; add to creamed mixture just until blended (batter will be thick). Combine sweet potatoes and milk; stir into batter until blended. Fold in raisins.
- Transfer to two greased 5-3/4x3x2-in. loaf pans. Bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks.
Editor's Note: An 8-in. round baking pan may be used instead of the loaf pans. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 162 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 176mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Loaves in Country Woman September/October 2003