Sweet Potato Hot Rolls
Busy hostesses will appreciate this recipe that starts with a packaged mix. The soft and tender rolls look pretty sprinkled with wheat germ. —Addy Kramer, Pine Island, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- In a large bowl, combine contents of the roll mix and yeast packet. Stir in wheat germ and sugar. Add the warm water, sweet potatoes, butter and egg; stir until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Divide between two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.