Sweet Potato Hot Rolls
Busy hostesses will appreciate this recipe that starts with a packaged mix. The soft and tender rolls look pretty sprinkled with wheat germ. —Addy Kramer, Pine Island, Minnesota
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 15 min.
- 1 package (16 ounces) hot roll mix
- 1/3 cup toasted wheat germ
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 cup warm water (120° to 130°)
- 3/4 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- EGG WASH:
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon toasted wheat germ
- In a large bowl, combine contents of the roll mix and yeast packet. Stir in wheat germ and sugar. Add the warm water, sweet potatoes, butter and egg; stir until dough pulls away from the sides of the bowl. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead for 5 minutes. Cover and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Divide dough into 16 pieces. Shape each into a ball. Divide between two greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Beat egg and water; brush over rolls. Sprinkle with wheat germ.
- Bake at 375° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. Remove to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 153 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 212mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Hot Rolls in Country Woman Christmas 2011