Sweet Potato Gratin
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 cups whole milk
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and shredded (about 4-1/2 cups)
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, saute onion and garlic in butter; cook until tender. Whisk in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in the sweet potatoes and horseradish.
- Transfer half to a greased 9-in. square baking dish. Combine cheese and bread crumbs; sprinkle half over the sweet potato mixture. Repeat layers. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 550 calories, 25g fat (15g saturated fat), 71mg cholesterol, 729mg sodium, 64g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 6g fiber), 17g protein.
Dec 10, 2014
I spent most of my life hating sweet potatoes because they were always served with the too-sweet brown sugar and marshmallow topping. I only found out after I made these that sweet potatoes are wonderful and it was just the way they always had been prepared that I did not like.
Aug 31, 2013
This is absolutely fantastic. I made it for the first time yesterday for a small group pot luck, and 2 people asked me for the recipe.
Aug 13, 2013
I was looking for savory sweet potato recipe and this was perfect! I made it with a salad and grilled steak, my family enjoyed it very much so. I added more garlic and used olive oil instead of butter... Very nice.
Apr 1, 2013
I was so excited to make this for Easter. I followed the recipe and it was awful. The shredded potatoes did not cook. They never got soft. Each person had a pile of uncooked potatoes on their plate at dinner's end. Would not recommend making this recipe
Oct 29, 2012
I second the last reviewers comment.
Oct 29, 2012
Would appreciate it soooo much if you would include the nutrition information with your recipes. Thank you
Nov 27, 2010
This did not taste sweet at all. (Disagreement with another reviewer.)Could not taste the horseradish either.I used 1 jumbo sweet potato, not the 3 large, to get the 4 1/2 cups.I also think that the 1 cup bread crumbs is WAY TOO MUCH. Ours were still very dry; if I make this again, we will only use 1/2 cup.Also, what a waste of sharp cheddar! I couldn't taste it at all. I'll use mild or medium (something cheaper) next time.Also, we think this serves about 9, not 4-6.
Nov 26, 2010
This was very good. 3 large sweet potatoes are to many, I only used 2 and it was plenty.I think this recipe serves more than mentioned.
Nov 22, 2010
This was so very different from the usual recipe served on Thanksgiving....not sweet at all but I think it had to do as well with the potatoes not all are very swee...did not agree with that last review. All 10 of us loved it
Apr 28, 2010
You really need to love sweet potatoes to like this dish. It came out beautiful, but it was very sweet! Definitely a sweet potato lovers recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.