- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) enchilada sauce
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large microwave-safe bowl, combine sweet potato and water. Cover and microwave on high for 4-5 minutes or until potato is almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the beans, enchilada sauce, chili powder, oregano, cumin and sweet potato; heat through.
- Place a flour tortilla in a greased 9-in. deep-dish pie plate; layer with a third of the beef mixture and cheese. Repeat layers twice. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews forSweet Potato Enchilada Stack
"This was really good! Even my picky 1 year old liked it! Will make again!"
"Pretty good, and even better as leftovers. I doubled the recipe and froze one and the frozen casserole was good also; not soggy"
"This was very tasty. We ended up eating these as tacos instead. I love the combination of sweet potato, black beans, and meat. I added extra seasoning like garlic and crushed red pepper to make these spicy."
"I don't know what I did wrong, but I found this to just be ok. I followed the directions exactly, except I put it in an 8x8 pan because I didn't have a pie dish big enough for that. The tortillas wound up really gooey and kind of disgusting. The meat mixture was also just ok, it didn't blow me away or anything. Maybe it's because I used yam instead of sweet potato? I doubt I'd retry this again even with sweet potato, since all the rest of the flavors weren't very good."
"I would make this again."
"This was REALLY good! I followed the directions except I used less chili powder, (1 tsp.) and I made my own homemade flour tortillas. (I used about 5 or 6 homemade tortillas). Also, I used a tall casserole dish so it would all fit. My husband told me four times during supper just how delicious he thought it was. I loved it too. Thank you for sharing your recipe!"
"This is relatively simple and good. I would have liked it to be a little spicier, but definitely a good weeknight meal."