Sweet Potato Dutch Baby
I love a Dutch baby, so I created a savory version to serve for breakfast or brunch. Top with poached eggs, smoked salmon or sour cream. I also like to serve it with mixed greens tossed in olive oil and lemon juice. — Tom Doyle, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled sweet potato
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh tarragon or 3/4 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup 2% milk
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place sweet potato and water in a microwave-safe bowl; microwave, covered, on high until potato is tender, 3-4 minutes; drain.
- Place butter in a 10-in. cast-iron or other ovenproof skillet. Place in oven until butter is melted, 4-5 minutes; carefully swirl to coat evenly.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk flour, 2 tablespoon Parmesan, sugar, tarragon, kosher salt and pepper. Place eggs, milk and sweet potato in a blender; process until blended. Add flour mixture; pulse until combined. Pour into hot skillet. Bake until puffed and sides are golden brown and crisp, 20-25 minutes. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons Parmesan. Serve immediately.
Test Kitchen tips