Sweet Potato Delight
“My family wouldn’t dream of a Thanksgiving dinner without this side dish, but it’s great anytime—I serve it once a month.” The fluffy texture and subtle orange flavor make it a standout. —Marlene Kroll, Chicago, Illinois
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1/2 cup orange marmalade
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- Place sweet potatoes in a Dutch oven; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or just until tender. Drain potatoes; place in a large bowl and mash. Stir in the orange marmalade, orange juice, brown sugar and extract. Cool slightly.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into sweet potato mixture. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 174 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (25g sugars, 3g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Delight in Healthy Cooking October/November 2010
Nov 17, 2012
Loved this! This is now my go to sweet potato dish.
Aug 16, 2011
This was way too sweet for my family and I. I doubt I would ever make this recipe again but if I did I would decrease the marmalade, extract and OJ by at least half.