Sweet Potato Curry
This is one of my favorite vegetarian dishes that packs a lot of flavor and nutrition. Curry can be served over rice or on its own. —Aubrei Weigand, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 celery ribs (including tops), chopped
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (13.66 ounces) light coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups cut fresh green beans
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- Hot cooked rice
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat oil over medium-high heat; saute celery and onions until tender, 3-5 minutes. Stir in sweet potatoes, garlic, seasonings, coconut milk and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, just until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in green beans and chickpeas; cook, uncovered, until green beans are tender, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups curry mixture: 314 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 502mg sodium, 48g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 9g fiber), 6g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 fat, 1 lean meat.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Curry in Healthy Cooking Annual Recipes 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.