Sweet Potato-Crusted Chicken Nuggets
I was looking for ways to spice up traditional chicken nuggets and came up with this recipe. The chips add a crunchy texture and flavor while the meat is tender on the inside. —Kristina Segarra, Yonkers, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 1 cup sweet potato chips
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 pound chicken tenderloins, cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
- In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 350°. Place chips, flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper and baking powder in a food processor; pulse until ground. Transfer to a shallow dish.
- Mix cornstarch and remaining salt; toss with chicken. Toss with potato chip mixture, pressing gently to coat.
- Fry nuggets, a few at a time, until golden brown, 2-3 minutes. Drain on paper towels.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 308 calories, 17g fat (1g saturated fat), 56mg cholesterol, 690mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Originally published as Sweet potato crusted chicken nuggets in Simple & Delicious February/March 2018
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.