Sweet Potato Cranberry Relish
Sweet potatoes are a tasty surprise in this slightly tart relish. It's lovely served alongside turkey, ham or pork.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1 small sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries, thawed
- 1 medium naval orange, peeled and sectioned
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded, optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Place sweet potato in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-15 minutes or just until tender. Drain; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the cranberries, orange, sugar and jalapeno if desired; cover and process until finely chopped. Transfer to a bowl; stir in the sweet potato, pecans, cilantro, salt and cinnamon. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before serving.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1/4 cup: 136 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 39mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Cranberry Relish in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003