This convenient recipe uses items you have in your pantry, like sweet potatoes, cranberries, coconut and chocolate chips. Everyone will enjoy this delicious dessert! —Amie Valpone, New York, New York
Featured In: Recipes with Secret Ingredients
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package white cake mix (regular size)
- 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 package (8 ounces) reduced-fat cream cheese
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, sweet potatoes, buttermilk, eggs, oil and vanilla; beat on low speed for 30 seconds. Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Pour into a 13x9-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 28-33 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar, cinnamon and chili powder. Spread over cake. Sprinkle with cranberries, coconut and chocolate chips. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 20 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Cranberry Cake in Healthy Cooking October/November 2012, p45