Sweet Potato & Chorizo Croquettes
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about 12 ounces each), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 14 ounces fresh chorizo or bulk spicy pork sausage
- 2 cups (8 ounces) queso fresco or shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Pretzel sticks and fresh cilantro leaves
- Preheat oven to 400° Place sweet potatoes on a 15x10x1-in. baking pan. Drizzle with oil; toss to coat. Roast potatoes 30-40 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, cook chorizo over medium heat 6-8 minutes or until no longer pink. Drain and transfer to a large bowl.
- Mash potatoes; add to chorizo. Stir in cheese, egg, paprika, salt and pepper. Refrigerate until cold, about 1 hour.
- Shape into 1-1/4-in. balls. Place bread crumbs in a shallow bowl. Roll balls in crumbs to coat. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry balls in batches 4-6 minutes or until golden brown, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- Decorate with pretzel sticks and cilantro.
Jan 6, 2017
Delicious and fairly easy. Good flavor. I added red pepper flakes to the mix because we like things spicy. Serve with a side of Pico de Gallo and you've got a winner. The only reason for 4 stars instead of five was the pretzel, it had no use and didn't go with the flavor profile.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.