Sweet Potato Chips and Cucumber Dip
Simple seasoned salt fabulously flavors crisp sweet potato chips. The creamy cucumber sauce is a nice accompaniment.—Melinda Winner, Joffre, Pennsylvania
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Cook: 5 min./batch
Makes10 cups chips (2 cups dip)
- 2 cups (16 ounces) sour cream or plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dill weed
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large cucumber
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- 2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- In a small bowl, combine the first six ingredients. Peel cucumber and remove seeds. Place cucumber in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped. Remove half of cucumber; set aside. Process remaining cucumber until pureed; add chopped and pureed cucumber to sour cream mixture. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Cut sweet potatoes into 1/16-in.-thick slices. Place in a large bowl; cover with cold water. Soak for 30 minutes.
- Drain; pat dry with paper towels. In an electric skillet or deep fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry potatoes in batches for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove with a slotted spoon; drain on paper towels.
- Immediately sprinkle with seasoned salt; serve with dip. Store leftover chips in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 184 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 371mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Zingy Sweet Potato Chips with Cucumber Dip in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.