This recipe was created with friends when we lived in rainy Seattle. There's nothing better than a bowl of chili on a cold day. Sweet potatoes may be left out, but they are the secret ingredient that makes this chili fabulous. —Jonell Tempero, Omaha, Nebraska
Recommended: 43 Amazing Ways to Love Sweet Potatoes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place potatoes in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the beef, celery, onion, green pepper, garlic and jalapeno over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain.
- Stir in the broth, tomatoes, chili powder, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potatoes, beans and butter; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato Chili in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2012, p241