Sweet Potato Apple Scallop
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 medium)
- 2 medium apples, peeled and cored
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon orange extract
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Drain and cool.
- Peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-in. slices. Place in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cut apples into 1/4-in. rings; cut in half. Arrange over sweet potatoes. Sprinkle with lemon juice.
- Combine the brown sugar, pecans, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and orange extract; sprinkle over apples. Dot with butter. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until apples are tender.
Nutrition Facts2/3 cup: 0g sugar total. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fruit, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 18, 2009
The apple/brown sugar topping was delicious, but I think next time I'll dredge the sweet potato slices in the brown sugar mixture before putting in the baking dish - the delicious topping didn't get down to the potatoes. Also, my daughter thought there was too much cinnamin, so I'll try reducing it and the pumpkin pie spice to to 1/4 teaspoon each and see how that works.