Instead of serving sweet potatoes alone at Christmas, I like to pair them with cranberries. Each bite offers a delicious contrast of sweet and tart flavors. —Linda Boot, Fort St. John, British Columbia
Recommended: 45 New Ideas for Thanksgiving Leftovers
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3-1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
- 2 large onions, peeled and halved
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups halved fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt, ground ginger, cinnamon and nutmeg
- Place sweet potatoes and onions on a baking sheet; brush onions with oil. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 50-60 minutes or just until tender. When cool enough to handle, peel and cube potatoes and dice onions; place in a large bowl.
- Combine the remaining ingredients; mix well. Gently stir into potato mixture. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until heated through, stirring once. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Cranberry Sweet Potato Bake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p69