This sweet and savory soup is quick and easy to prepare. You can substitute butternut squash or pumpkin for the sweet potatoes, depending on what you have on hand. —Judy Armstrong, Prairieville, Louisiana
Recommended: 51 Cozy Slow Cooker Soups
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2 medium leeks (white portion only), finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups cubed peeled sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 pounds)
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 4 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves, divided
- 12 ounces lump crabmeat, drained
- Croutons, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat; saute leeks and garlic until leeks are tender, 4-6 minutes.
- Stir in sweet potatoes, 3/4 teaspoon salt, cinnamon, cayenne and stock; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree soup in batches in a blender; return to pan. Stir in cream and 2 teaspoons thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt remaining butter over medium heat. Add crab and the remaining salt and thyme; cook 5 minutes, stirring gently to combine. Top servings with crab mixture and, if desired, croutons. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Sweet Potato and Crab Soup in Simple & Delicious August/September 2017