My unusual fruit crisp celebrates the flavors of the holidays. Offer it as a side, or add ice cream to make it a standout dessert. —Deanna McDonald, Kalamazoo, Michigan
Featured In: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cans (15-3/4 ounces each) cut sweet potatoes in syrup, undrained
- 2 medium pears, peeled and chopped
- 8 ounces dried figs, quartered
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- Vanilla ice cream or sweetened whipped cream, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°. Drain sweet potatoes, reserving 3 tablespoons syrup. Place sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Stir in pears, figs, maple syrup, lemon juice, allspice and reserved sweet potato syrup. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish.
- In a small bowl, mix the first seven topping ingredients. Stir in oil and maple syrup; sprinkle over filling.
- Bake, uncovered, 35-40 minutes or until fruit is tender. If desired, serve warm with ice cream. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Potato, Pear and Fig Crisp in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2015, p63