Sweet Pea and Asparagus Guacamole
I decided it was time to switch up guacamole, so I got creative for this recipe. My local farmers market had beautiful snow peas and asparagus that I incorporated. When squash blossoms are in season, I like to add those, too. —Amie Valpone, New York, New York
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/3 cup vegetable broth
- 2 cups fresh snow peas
- 1-1/2 cups cut fresh asparagus (1-inch pieces)
- 1/4 cup sunflower kernels
- Dash saffron threads or 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated lemon peel
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- Tortilla chips or pita wedges, optional
- In a large skillet, cook onion and garlic in broth over medium-high heat until tender. Add snow peas, asparagus, sunflower kernels and saffron; cook 4-6 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Transfer to a food processor. Add avocados, parsley, lemon peel, lemon juice, vinegar, salt, white pepper and chili powder; process until blended. Refrigerate until serving. If desired, serve with tortilla chips.
Originally published as Squash Blossom Sweet Pea n' Asparagus Guacamole in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2014
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.