Sweet Onion Rice Casserole
We pared down this creamy onion casserole from Julie Rea of Battle Ground, Washington. It’s warm, comforting and perfect for a cool evening. "Everyone who tries it, loves it," Julie says.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 2-1/2 cups chopped sweet onions
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup half-and-half cream
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the cheese, cream and rice.
- Transfer to a 2-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 45-55 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 277 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 115mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 4g fiber), 8g protein.
Originally published as Walla Walla Sweet Onion Casserole in Cooking for 2 Spring 2007
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.