Sweet Onion Rice Bake
Total TimePrep: 50 min. Bake: 45 min.
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked basmati rice
- 3 pounds sweet onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat 15-20 minutes or until onions are golden brown, stirring frequently.
- In a large bowl, combine cheese, cream, parsley, salt, pepper, rice and onions. Transfer to a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle with paprika. Bake 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 227 calories, 14g fat (8g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 206mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Apr 6, 2015
The onion lovers in my family liked this very much. I tasted it before putting in the oven and thought it was going to be very bland, but after cooking, it turned out to be very sweet and quite good. Next time I make it I am going to try adding diced ham and maybe water chestnuts just to make it more of a meal versus a side dish.
Nov 2, 2014
This was wonderful! I've never thought of rice as a comfort food until now...hot, creamy and flavorful. I am not a fan of swiss cheese so I replaced it with smoked gouda and mozarella and it turned out great. I didn't change anything else. The family loved it!