VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 large sweet onions, coarsely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Assorted crackers
- In a large skillet, saute onions and garlic in butter until tender. Remove from the heat; stir in the cheese, mayonnaise and pepper sauce.
- Transfer to an ungreased 1-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with crackers. Yield: about 5 cups.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Cheese Spread in Taste of Home April/May 2000, p66