Whether you're looking for a savory appetizer or unique accompaniment to soup, this speedy specialty is sure to please. Helen Lamison of Carnegie, Pennsylvania tops packaged bread dough with ham and onions, then bakes it until golden.
Recommended: Recipes with Secret Ingredients
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 pound sweet onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 2 ounces thinly sliced deli ham
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen bread dough, thawed
- In a large skillet, cook onions in butter over medium heat for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, sour cream, salt and caraway seeds. Stir in the onions and ham.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll the dough into a 16-in. x 11-in. rectangle. Transfer to a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; build up edges slightly to form a crust. Spread with onion mixture. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cut into squares; serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Sweet Onion Bread Squares in Quick Cooking July/August 2004, p43