Sweet Onion Blossom
"Using fresh asparagus from my garden, I created this side dish for lunch one day...and was delighted by the unusual combination of colors and flavors," says Judy Stratton of Hoyt Lakes, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep: 5 min. Bake: 65 min.
- 1 small Vidalia or sweet onion, peeled
- 2 teaspoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 4 fresh asparagus spears, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- Place onion on a cutting board; cut a thin slice from top. Place onion, root end down, make 1/4-in. cuts to within 1 in. of bottom. Repeat cuts in opposite direction, forming a grid pattern. Place in an ungreased 2-cup baking dish. Top with 1 teaspoon butter.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 60-70 minutes or until tender (cover with foil if top browns too quickly). Sprinkle with cheese. Bake 3-4 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute mushrooms in remaining butter until tender; keep warm. Place asparagus in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until crisp-tender. Place onion on a serving plate; spoon mushrooms and asparagus around onion.