You can make this impressive bread easily by using prepared pizza dough. The braid can be served as an appetizer or alongside soup or salad.—Rene Montgomery, Duluth, Minnesota
Recommended: 52 Date Night Dinners
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 tube (13.8 ounces) refrigerated pizza crust
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1 egg white, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
- Roll dough into a 12-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Transfer to a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan coated with cooking spray.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Add brown sugar and thyme; cook 1 minute longer or until blended.
- Sprinkle cheese lengthwise down the center of dough; top with mushroom mixture. On each long side, cut 1-in.-wide strips 3 in. into center.
- Starting at one end, fold alternating strips at an angle across filling. Pinch ends to seal. Brush with egg white. Sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 425° for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Sweet Onion & Mushroom Braid in Country Woman