Sweet Napa Salad
"I use onions and dried cherries from our home state of Michigan to give local flavor to my signature cabbage salad," says Jan Matthias of Hillman. "Dinner guests always want the recipe."
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) chicken ramen noodles
- 10 cups shredded napa or Chinese cabbage
- 8 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds, toasted
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Set aside one seasoning packet from ramen noodles for dressing (save the remaining seasoning packet for another use). Break noodles into small pieces; place in a large salad bowl. Add the cabbage, onions, pineapple, cherries, almonds and sesame seeds.
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the remaining ingredients. Add contents of reserved seasoning packet; shake well. Pour over cabbage mixture; toss to coat. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 222 calories, 14g fat (3g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 300mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Originally published as Thunderbay Resort's Sweet Napa Salad in Country Woman February/March 2008
Mar 14, 2012
This is delicious! My family loves this! Thank you!!!
Feb 6, 2012
My whole family (including one very picky eater) has loved this recipe, which I have now put in my book of favorites.