Sweet ‘n’ Zesty Chicken Breasts
“On frosty winter nights, my husband and I love this delicious chicken served up with hot couscous and a veggie saute of zucchini, green peppers and sliced mushrooms,” suggests Jennifer Rahe from St. Cloud, Minnesota.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 package (2.4 ounces) tomato-basil soup mix
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Hot cooked couscous, optional
- In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken with onion in oil on both sides. Remove and set aside. In the same skillet, combine the water, soup mix, brown sugar and hot pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Return chicken and onion to pan. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until chicken juices run clear. Serve over couscous if desired.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 452 calories, 13g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 825mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 3g fiber), 40g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable.
Originally published as Sweet & Zesty Chicken Breasts in Cooking for 2 Winter 2006
Jul 30, 2008
This was good. I doubled the recipe to feed a family of 4. I couldn't find the tomato-basil soup mix from our supermarket, so I used plain tomato and added basil seasoning to it. Made it with steamed rice and white potatoes.