Sweet ‘n’ Sour Sausage
Carrots, green pepper and pineapple lend gorgeous color to this slow-cooked sausage supper from Barbara Schutz of Pandora, Ohio. "Serve this combination stir-fry style over rice or chow mein noodles," she suggests.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Fully Cooked Polish Kielbasa Sausage Rope, sliced
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 869mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Sweet 'n' Sour Sausage in Quick Cooking May/June 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.