Sweet ‘n’ Sour Sausage
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 4-1/2 hours
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, sliced
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple chunks, undrained
- 1-1/2 cups fresh baby carrots, quartered lengthwise
- 1 large green pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice or chow mein noodles
- In a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the first 10 ingredients. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into sausage mixture. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 250 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 34mg cholesterol, 869mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 1g fiber), 10g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 fruit, 1 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1/2 starch.
Jan 3, 2020
Incredibly easy and delicious! It's a fantastic substitute for take-out. I made the recipe on the stovetop rather than in the slow cooker and it turned out beautifully in just about 30 minutes. I recommend using hot water for the cornstarch slurry. Once added to the meat and veggie mixture, it thickens the sauce almost immediately.
May 18, 2019
One of my absolute favorite Taste of Home recipes. I have prepared it with both Kielbasa and Polish sausage and it's great either way. I leave out the soy due to allergies, and the cornstarch mix at the end as well, and I don't miss either. It's great with either rice or chow mein noodles, or both combined. I have it cooking in the crock as I write. Can't wait for dinner.
Mar 26, 2018
Pretty good, and was quick to throw together.