Sweet ‘n’ Sour Polish Sausage
- 1 pound smoked kielbasa or Polish sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (20 ounces) pineapple chunks
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- 1. In a large skillet, saute the sausage, onion, green pepper and celery in butter over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; remove with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- 2. In the same skillet, combine the brown sugar, ketchup, vinegar and salt. Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add juice to skillet; bring to a boil. Return sausage mixture to pan. Combine the cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in reserved pineapple; heat through. Serve over rice.
1 cup: 501 calories, 22g fat (9g saturated fat), 59mg cholesterol, 1439mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (52g sugars, 2g fiber), 10g protein.
Dec 31, 1969
Good kid friendly dish. My 13 year old son prepared as directed. A nice change from regular sausage recipe. It is very sweet and the sauce is very thick. Great way for young chefs to begin following directions and knife skills.
Mar 20, 2013
mt mom made it with polish kielbasa not polish sausage! but it still was awesome!!!
(because my mom made it and it's a good recipe!!!!!) i think the kielbasa is better than the sausage!$$:) YOU HAVE TO HAVE THIS RECIPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:) :) :) :)