Sweet ‘n’ Sour Meatballs for 2
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 tablespoons beaten egg
- 2 tablespoons seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash pepper
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks, undrained
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh carrot
- 1/2 medium green pepper, julienned
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 1-in. balls. In a large skillet, cook meatballs over medium heat until browned on all sides and a thermometer reads 160°; drain.
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice; set pineapple aside. Add water to juice to measure 1/2 cup. Stir in the brown sugar, vinegar and soy sauce; pour over meatballs. Add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until carrot is crisp-tender. Stir in green pepper and pineapple; cover and simmer 5 minutes longer or until pepper is crisp-tender.
- Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into meatball mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with rice.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 376 calories, 11g fat (4g saturated fat), 133mg cholesterol, 805mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (30g sugars, 3g fiber), 26g protein.
Jan 2, 2012
Has anyone ever tried ground turkey or chicken in this recipe?
Nov 3, 2010
I think my husband gets a little annoyed I make this so often, but I love the tart pineapple with the vinegar and brown sugar. We usually eat it over noodles as we're not big rice fans.
Jun 19, 2010
This recipe is DELICIOUS! I always add a little extra pineapple since our family loves pineapple.