Sweet N Savory Enchiladas Recipe
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) whole tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1-1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 pound Jones No Sugar Pork Sausage Roll sausage
- 12 flour tortillas (8 inches)
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1. In a blender or food processor, combine tomatoes, onions, garlic and seasonings. Cover and process until smooth; transfer to a saucepan. Add oil; bring to a boil. Cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Gradually add a small amount of hot tomato mixture to cream, stirring constantly. Return all to pan; set aside. In a skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink; drain. Stir in 2/3 cup of the tomato cream sauce. Spoon meat mixture onto tortillas. Roll up and place seam side down in a baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchilada. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with cheeses. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with onions. Yield: 12 enchiladas.
Purchase green onions with fresh-looking tops and clean white ends. Store them wrapped in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. For longer storage, freeze sliced or chopped green onions for up to 1 year. One green onion equals about 2 tablespoons sliced.
1 each: 490 calories, 30g fat (13g saturated fat), 89mg cholesterol, 839mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 24g protein.